Hidden Hormone Disruptors: How Toxic is Your Home?
These chemicals lurk everywhere: in our food supply, cleaning products, makeup, bedding etc. The average home has 62 chemicals in it!
These toxic substances might not be regulated, but they are very harmful to our health, specifically our nervous and endocrine systems.
Our endocrine system is responsible for the production & maintenance of our hormones. It consists of many organs, such as the thryoid & adrenals.
Endocrine Disruptors are these toxic chemicals that are carcinogenic to our body. Research has linked these toxins to conditions like cancer, autoimmune diseases, mood disorders etc. They produce adverse immune, neurological, reproductive and developmental effects in our body and also to the environment.
They interfere with normal nerve functioning and hormone production by lowering, raising or imitating hormones. These chemicals also can block or bind hormone receptor sites.
Endocrine Disruptors are these toxic chemicals that are carcinogenic to our body.
Endocrine Disruptors have been linked to:
- Early Onset Puberty
- Low Estrogen, Progesterone and/or Testosterone
- Estrogen Dominance
- Infertility in both men and women
- Thyroid Irregularities such as Hypothyroidism
- Neurological issues such as ADD, ADHD
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Autoimmune diseases like Hashimotos, Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Cancers of the Reproductive System, such as Breast or Prostate
- Kidney and Lung Cancer
- Skin rashes, Ezcema, psorasis or other skin conditions
- Gut Dysbiosis and gut-related issues (many of our hormones are produced & synthesized by our gut bacteria)
The US spends over $300 BILLION dollars a YEAR on health-care costs related back to endocrine-disruptors.
Yet, we aren’t any healthier and the root cause of these issues still exist!
Here are some top chemicals to look out for:
- BPA: Bisphenol-A, a synthetic chemical found in all plastics, can linings, resins, paper receipts etc.
- Atrazine: Found on conventional corn crops and in water supplies
- Glyphosate: Also known as “Roundup” weed killer, this toxin is used in conventional farming & has been found in conventional produce, corn, soy, vegetable oils, and even packaged foods such as cereal! It is found in most packaged/processed foods or those containing GMOs.
- Phthalates: found in plastics, skin care, beauty, self-care products etc. Most commonly labeled as “fragrance”.
- Parabens: group of chemicals found commonly in skin care products: soaps, lotions, makeup, deodorants, etc.
- Sodium Lauryl Suflate: hair products and laundry detergents
- Perfluorinated Chemicals/PFCs: used on teflon non-stick cookware & microwave popcorn bags
- Heavy Metals: Arsenic, Mercury and Lead have all been found in major water supplies, food such as conventional seafood, silver fillings, and paint
- Anti-biotics and Hormones: Found in conventionally-raised meat supply (poultry, red meat, etc). They are given to the animals to increase their growth & decrease rate of illness due to non-ethical conditions of the farm.
I know this list can be overwhelming and make you mad. I know it did for me. It can seem daunting…where do I even begin? Does it matter? The answer is YES.
We can’t avoid all toxins and live in a perfect chemical free life. The first steps are AWARENESS and REDUCE your exposure as much as possible!
Do you think some of your health issues and symptoms could be related to environmental toxins?
Are you ready to make a change to a non-toxic lifestyle but unsure where to start?
We can help here at Whisper Health!
If you or loved ones are dealing with chronic health challenges, or are looking to heal your body and improve your health using a root cause, whole body approach, I would love to chat with you!